Saturday, October 8, 2011

Effie's Quilts

My Grandmother had a huge bedroom in the old house.  It was part bedroom part work area.  And it seems now to me that there was almost always a quilt frame up there.  Her quilt frame held about a half of a double bed quilt.  And something was always going on there. Her name was Effie.  No bit of fancy or bright or unusual material escaped Effie's stash box.  Effie made quilts.  She called them "crazy quilts" but each was a witty, whimsical piece of original art.  My father and grandfather's old neckties were a favorite material of hers.  I remember in particular a little black felt Scottie dog on the satiny background of a red necktie that I had always loved to see my father wearing.  His tail was up and you could tell it was just about to wag and his little button eye had a glint to it.


As a young woman Effie had gone to "normal" school.  That's what they used to call teacher's colleges.  And, yes, there were institutions of higher learning that just taught how to be a teacher.  They were nearly all women's colleges.  She was a teacher and a very good one.  Her best friend had been Katie, the wife of a local attorney.  Katie had many children (eventually 10) and all had been Effie's students at one point or another.  All except the last one.  And baby Katie and her mother died within a few months of each other.  Katie's husband Alfred was just decimated.  And Effie mourned for her dear friend.    Effie helped A.L. (as he  was known) with the children as much as she could.


A.L. and Effie were married about a year and half after Katie's death.  If they weren't head over heels in love with each other then love surely grew between them because by the time I came along they were certainly devoted to one another.  My mother, Harriett, is their only child together.  Elizabeth is the daughter of Effie's sister who died when Elizabeth was just a baby.  And then Elizabeth was theirs.  She just came by a little different route to get to be their darling daughter.  So Effie came home from her wedding to a household with 6 children still at home.  If she wasn't accomplished at household skills then, she got that way pretty fast.  But she was teacher and a good one.  And she could manage children.  Two essential points for her situation.


I asked her once why on earth she would marry a man with that many children?  She looked at me and said, quite honestly I believe, "I was either truly in love or just plain crazy, don't know which."


We have already talked about her stationery.  And how she wrote to everyone and kept up with them.  She also volunteered at church and was in the garden club and the ladies aide society.  And she had all those children to raise.  And this woman had a husband who by that time was the district judge.  And whatever social obligations attended with that were taken care of in good order too.  He was a very happy husband.  How she did all that I don't know.  But I do know that I don't complain about having too little time without thinking of her.  There was always time to talk to a child, I know that.  My Uncles and Aunts have told me that.  And she made quilts too!  Wonderful magical creations.  One for each of her children (she had no "steps" in her mind, they were hers).  


I learned how to embroider and do hand stitching on one of those quilts.  Don't know which one.  But there was plenty of practice to be had.  I imagine quite a few other little girls in our family did as well.  "Aunt Effie" (and she was everybody's Aunt Effie) never turned down a little girl's willing hands, trained or not.  She was always happy to show another one how thread a needle and hold it and how to stitch.  


My Aunt Ruth, Uncle Arch's wife gave me hers after I was all grown up.  She found out that I never got one.  Effie ran out of time finally.  And I treasure that quilt and I love my Aunt Ruth for her good heart and treasure her memory right along with my Grandmother Effie's.  Just a memory, but a very happy one.


Until next time, happy searching!

1 comment:

The Crazy Californian Croatian American said...

Effie was certainly one of those super special women who yet grace this world today. I feel proud to know her through your stories about her. I would like to hear even more about her.